Mapbox Minsk R&D center (OOO MapData) enables navigation for people, packages and vehicles. Our underlying maps represent the ever-evolving world, accessing, aggregating, and adapting anonymous data from millions of sensors and phones in real-time.
What we do
The Basemap team is responsible for the content and cartography of our Streets visual map that is used by customers.
We're looking for an Engineering Manager to join our team to create new maps for Automotive, Logistics, Consumer Applications, Outdoors and Gaming. Your team will work with the machine learning and data curation teams to create more detailed maps and process new data types such as points of interests, popular areas, outdoor and 3D features into maps.
Your technical skills and leadership will drive the feature development and operational excellence of these maps. You'll also bring your people management skills to ensure that the team is growing, while delivering on the roadmap. Our team uses a modern data processing stack using Python, Spark, Airflow to process datasets into map tiles using the Tiling Service.
What you’ll do
As a Engineering Manager on the Basemap team, you’ll be responsible for, and expected to:
- Work collaboratively with other engineering leaders to evolve and communicate our strategy for providing the most innovative map data in the industry to developers and designers.
- Foster a culture of collaboration, innovation, inclusion and data-driven decisions on the team
- Operate the team day-to-day and be hands-on in project management and planning
- Establish, track, and iterate on operational metrics to ensure the team is delivering products that satisfy customer requirements.
- Manage and develop the team through hiring, retaining, mentoring, and continually building the team’s capabilities
What we believe are important traits for this role
- 3+ years of experience managing teams of 6+ engineers
- Experience in data engineering environment such as Python, SQL, Spark
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong planning and organizational skills to weigh conflicting constraints, make appropriate tradeoffs and develop engineering roadmaps jointly with a product manager.
- Track record of recruiting and retaining a diverse top talent engineering team