Mapbox Minsk R&D center (OOO MapData) enables navigation for people, packages and vehicles. Our underlying maps represent the ever-evolving world, accessing, aggregating, and adapting anonymous data from millions of sensors and phones in real-time.
Navigation serves customers with use cases ranging from turn-by-turn navigation in electric vehicles to delivery route planning for fleets of thousands of trucks.
The Navigation team develops and operates web services powering virtually all of strategic navigation initiatives in consumer, automotive, and logistics. This is a highly multidisciplinary team, with work spanning distributed systems on AWS to geospatial localization, traffic telemetry, and mapping.
For more information, please visit our website.
What You’ll Do
As a Senior Engineer on the navigation API team you will be spending a lot of time working on a state of the art routing and guidance engine written in C++. Along with that is a constellation of supporting services which power the data consumption and storage of the routing data. And this is all in an open source environment.
The kinds of projects you will be working on include things like:
- Improving our route selection for auto, cycle, walking and more
- Improving our ETAs for the routes we provide
- Electric vehicle routing
- Natural language guidance
- Scaling our router’s performance to do more with less
- Up-to-the-minute live traffic integration
- And much more…
In this role, you can expect to:
- Design and implement scalable services for our API and routing engine tiers, following best practices for deployment, resilience, and observability.
- Run and design experiments to evaluate the quality, reliability, and capacity requirements of our user-facing navigation products.
- Participate in end-to-end feature implementation within the larger navigation team; review code and design documents, shepherd feature releases, and participate in an on-call rotation.
- Work with product owners, sales engineering, and management to drive future product direction.
Navigation API services interact with many internal systems, making this a high-visibility team.
What We Believe are Important Traits for This Role
- Experience engineering web services in at least one backend language, e.g., C++, Node, Rust, Go, or Java.
- Experience building highly-available API services within container-based environments (e.g., Docker, ECS, Kubernetes, etc. on AWS). Proficiency implementing monitoring instrumentation, triaging incidents, resolving customer issues, and continuous product improvement.
- Knowledge of operating systems and distributed systems (e.g., fault-tolerance, consistency, service discovery, etc.)
- Experience or interest in solving geo-spatial problems.
Candidates should also have:
- A desire to work with individuals with diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences.
- Enthusiasm for learning and knowledge sharing in a multidisciplinary environment, supported by mentorship experience and strong written and verbal communication skills.
- A rigorous approach to problem solving, using experiments and data analysis to drive quality of service improvements.